Sunday, May 27, 2012

FRIENDS, SPIDERS, & LOST TREASURES
HOME SWEET HOME ~ DAYS ELEVEN & TWELVE

Everyone should have that one kind of friend who is just as crazy and spontaneous as you are.  But who also loves & supports you and gives good advice!  Who laughs at the same things and views life through the same lenses.  My friend, Lori, is just that friend for me.  When we lived in Coeur  d'Alene, we would always have spontaneous coffee or movie dates!  I sure do miss her lots and it was good to catch up with her last night at dinner at Cafe' Rio. 

Me and my "spontaneous" friend, Lori
 Tonight, I had dinner with more great friends, again at Cafe' Rio.  This makes my 5th time this week.  (The employees there are starting to recognize me and two of them want to buy a copy of my book!)  I sat with David and Liz for three hours catching up and sharing parts of our stories.  Don't you just love times like that when you don't realize how much time has passed during your conversation?  I do!!  I also had the opportunity to meet the manager of Cafe' Rio - after all, I am probably their most frequent diner.

David & Liz

 
Me and Robert - the manager of Cafe' Rio

Cafe' Rio ~  VERY much like Bajio in Portland
We're making progress on the yard sale preparations.  We did the garage today.  Not my favorite by far - I am not too much of an outdoorsy person nor do I like spiders!  My poor mother had to sweep the cob-webs and dead spiders before I would empty out any of the cabinets or boxes. I kept trying to tell her she had the wrong child helping her with this part!  She said she was going to put a pea under my mattress tonight to see if I was really a Princess!  We got through it, and I survived.  But I'm itching like crazy!!!   And I added a few more things to my "take home" pile.  

Plant stand made by my Grandpa McClain!
I think one of the most cherished treasures I will be bringing home is a box full of  memories.  Twenty-Eight years ago I stood in my mother's garage full of all of Nathan's belongings.  (see my very first blog post if you don't know who Nathan is)  As my mom, his mom, and I were going through boxes of all that was left behind, I told them that I didn't want any of it - just get rid of it all!  Nathan's mom took everything and told me she would store it at her house for me; and if I ever changed my mind, it would be there waiting.   My mom, in her infinite wisdom, kept a few things as well.  I came across that box while cleaning out one of the closets.  I was actually excited and thrilled to see it!  Ten years ago, I would not have been, I'm sure.  As I looked through photo albums and letters, all I could do was smile.  I didn't see the abusive Nathan in these photos; I saw the happy Nathan from before the drugs and alcohol.  And I'm so thankful my mom saved a piece of my past for me.  It is a true testament that I really have forgiven him and that God has truly restored and blessed me.  And for that I am thankful. 






No comments:

Post a Comment