Thursday, May 24, 2012

THE NOSTALGIA OF BEING HOME
Home Sweet Home Days  Nine & Ten


I honestly didn't think I would have anything to blog about this week while my mom and I go through her things to prepare for a yard sale.  Boy was I wrong!  My mom has been showing me all kinds of treasures and telling me about our family history that I don't recall ever hearing before.  She has put a note in with every little item to explain whose it was and when or how it was acquired.  One of the notes was even in  my grandmother's hand writing.  That must be where my mom got the idea. 

Yesterday we got through her office and today we got through the kitchen.  I had more fun in the kitchen, although, I saw tons of old pictures while we did the office.   But the kitchen; that's where most of my childhood memories surfaced.  As I pulled things out of the cupboards to clean, re-arrange, and decide if it was a keeper or a yard sale item, I have to admit, I absconded with some of my mom's profits that could have been raised at the up-coming yard sale.  Before it went into the "sale" pile I staked my claim!  Let me assure you, it's not all for my benefit.   Some of the things I will be bringing home for my daughter.  

Now, before any of my family members panic, there is nothing of great value.  (Mom said we had to wait to fight over that stuff!)  Trust me, I saw many, many boxes marked with each of our names on them.  And from the looks of things, there is plenty to go around!  

It has been an interesting experience.  There have been times that mom and I laughed so hard, I thought we'd bust a gut.  Other times, like when mom read me an article she wrote as a tribute to her dad, tears streamed down our cheeks.  There are just some things she is not ready to let go of yet . . . so we neatly packed them up and placed the box back in the closet.   And that's OK.  

Tomorrow, I think we will be going through her clothes.   That may sound like an easy task, but the woman has three closets full of clothes!!  One closet is a huge walk-in.

As I said, I have been re-connecting with a lot of good memories.  Here are just a few of the items I'm bringing home with me!



I literally squealed and jumped for joy when I found this hiding in the back corner of a cupboard!  I played with this apple/tea set ALL the time when I was little.  And for those of you who know me well, you know I have a collection of miniature tea sets!  
Yes, this IS coming home with me!


WOW - does anyone remember Rossetts?  My mom used to make these for us all the time!  I remember sprinkling the powdered sugar over them as they came out of the oil.  
SOOOOO GOOD!  I was thrilled just to be bringing this home, but when 
I opened the box the recipe was also inside!! BONUS!!


This little guy has lite up our doorstep at Christmas time ever since I can remember!  
It's plastic with a light inside.  The paint is worn off here and there but I don't care.  
It's an item you can't find anywhere else but your mother's treasure box.

 One of my favorite breakfasts was poached eggs.  And this is the very pan that my mom would fix them in.   It's one of those handy-dandy all purpose pots.  Double boiler, egg poacher, steamer . . .they just don't make em like this anymore. 
 These are just classic!  I love the design on them and the fact that they are reversed
in color from one piece to the other!  I don't think these are actually from my
childhood, but they made me smile anyway, so they are coming home. 
Good-bye ugly plastic strainers - say hello to my old metal strainer.
Love the little feet and handles!


My mom saves anything in print that has to do with her children.  If our names are in a program for a play, concert, or beauty pageant,  my mom has a copy.  She has also kept a lot of newspaper articles and explained to me that if there is a smile face drawn next to it, it's worth reading.  (so cute!)  I never met my Grandpa Juliano.  He was killed while changing a flat tire on the highway before I was born.  I've seen pictures (again) and heard new stories about him this week.  I wish I could have met him!

Grandpa Francisco Juliano - struck by a car while changing a flat tire.

 Grandma & Grandpa Juliano's wedding photo!  LOVE IT!


 One of the many musicals I have directed.
I can't believe she still has this!  I don't even have one!

My dad, Frank Juliano, with his first Grand son, Danny. 
I miss you dad!

It is hard to see our parents grow older.  I am so glad I made this trip to spend time with  my mom and help her go through things.  I'm making new memories to add to my old ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment